How to choose baby boy names for your little one…
Picking a name for your newborn baby can sometimes feel overwhelming. Aside from the numerous possibilities that you consider, it is more likely that your friends and relatives will offer name suggestions of their own.
There is no right or wrong way, when choosing a name for your baby boy. However, the most important consideration to make is to choose the name that you love. Ultimately, your baby will grow into the name you have picked for him or her.
If you do not know where to start in choosing a name for your child, here are some factors that you can consider. You can keep these things in mind to help your decide on the most appropriate name for your baby boy.
There are some parents who think that longer first names actually work better when paired to shorter last names. However, there are other parents who think the opposite. First names that end in a vowel should not be paired with a last name that starts with a vowel, as the names can actually run together. Rhyming first and last names should also be avoided as much as possible. Moreover, name puns should be avoided as well. Such names may be funny at first, but may not be funny after a while, especially when your child reaches teenage years.
Picking a name for your baby
Here is a list of some considerations that you should make when picking a name for your baby boy:
- How a Name Sounds. In choosing a name for your baby boy, you have to think about how the name you chose will sound when you call your baby. You can determine if the name sounds nice or harsh. Moreover, you can also determine if the name goes well with your last name.
- Uniqueness Factor. A lot of parents want to find a name that is unique, which will distinguish their child. However, there are instances that an unusual name can actually bring your child unwanted attention. As a parent, you should also think about the possibilities of having your child’s name mispronounced most of the time. You are actually subjecting your child to a lifetime of correcting how his or her name is pronounced.
- Significance of the Name. If you are having trouble finding the right name for your child, you can research name meanings on the Internet. For instance, naming your child ‘Alec’ might be a good idea as this means ‘defender of mankind.’
- Going for Name Initials. If you consider the initials in naming your child, you have to make sure that the initials would not lead to an unfortunate nickname in school. Your child might be bullied because of this.
- Choosing Names that Age Well. Whenever you pick a name for your child, you can also picture out your kid in a professional situation. A name that may suit an adorable baby like Lucky or Binky may not be good to hear when your child becomes an adult.
Avoiding the Pitfalls of Naming Your Child
When it comes to naming your child, there are actually a lot of pitfalls that you need to watch out for. Knowing these pitfalls early can definitely make your task easy as you will already know what names to avoid in naming your child.
- The Nickname Trap. The first thing that most parents would check is how the proposed first name flows with the last name. However, you should also consider checking out potential nicknames for the given first name whenever this is paired with the last name.
- Embarrassing Initials. In naming your child, you should consider the name initials and make sure that the name you give your child will not yield any embarrassing initials. For instance, naming your child Al Sander Smith’ is good as it sounds lovely. However, when you check the initials, it would form the initials ‘ASS.’ This would actually create problems later for your child. While this pitfall should not stop you from naming your child, it is worth checking them out first to avoid any rude awakenings that could happen later.
- Too Popular Names. Most parents who have tried using the Internet to check the name of their child and found out that their first choice is too popular often reject their first choice. Over-popularity is one of the most common reasons why parents opt to choose another name for their child.
- Problematic Name Pairings. If your child has an older sibling, you can try saying their names together. If the combination of their names has a nice ring to it, then that would be great. You should consider this as a pitfall as you will most likely be saying their names together a lot.
- Possible Humiliating Email Handles. Eventually, your child will ditch the pacifier and will grow up. He or she will then acquire an email address for work or school. Most institutions would require a standard formula, the first letter of the first name to be paired with the last name. This is something to think about when naming your child, as your child may actually find him or herself stuck with an embarrassing email address.
- Names They Should Not Live Up To. In considering the name of your child, you should consider checking the name on the internet. There are chances that the name you choose may be the stage name of a popular criminal or a porn star. If this is the case, then it might be best to switch to your second choice.
Even if you consider all these factors, there isn’t a name that is pitfall-proof, especially on the tongues of grade-schoolers. In fact, children can always find something to pair with your child’s name. Despite this, you should not let the potential naming pitfalls stop you from deciding. The most important thing is that you and your partner love the name that you give your baby boy.